Policies and Procedures
Setting healthy boundaries make both of us feel safe!
- All communication must be via email messaging and/or scheduled phone calls (no texting and no unscheduled phone calls).
- I require a nonrefundable retainer, typically 20%, when we agree to work together. When I accept a project, I am often saying "no" to a different one.
- While I love to share the enthusiasm, and often do, I am not required to promote your book on my social media, nor am I required to be social media “friends” etc. with any author.
- Unless specified prior to beginning editing, I will edit using Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition, which is the industry standard for publishing.
- I guarantee response to messages within 48 hours apart from weekends or notice is given prior to an absence on my part.
- You must ask for permission to credit me as an editor in your book. Additionally, please tell me if you do not want me to credit your book in my portfolio.
- I do not return chapter-by-chapter edits to authors for editorial assessments or developmental editing (i.e., edits are returned in full-book form). I rarely offer chapter-by-chapter line or copy edits.
- Significant changes to form of editing needed, style of edits needed, accelerated deadline, or any other midway changes to services may incur additional fees, and I am not required to amend the contract if the significant changes are not possible due to time, budget, or skillset. Basically, no scope-creeping!
- If something happens, we can part ways in the middle of the project. However, the minimum cancellation fee is the 20% nonrefundable retainer paid at the beginning. Depending on where we were in the editing process, the percentage of the total may be more.
- Edits are delivered via Microsoft Word in tracked changes.
- If I do not hear from the author within 60 days after reaching out via email, our contract is dissolved, and the full bill of services completed will be charged.
- I am happy to and encourage signing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). I have a complimentary one on file written by a lawyer, but can sign yours.